As gamers, we all love to indulge in some fast-paced, action-packed shooting games. And when it comes to gaming on the go, the Nintendo Switch has proved to be a favorite for gamers of all ages. The console’s portability and versatility have made it a popular choice, with a wide variety of shooting games available for it.
So, if you’re looking to shoot your way to victory on the Nintendo Switch, here are some of the best shooting games that you should definitely check out:
First on our list is DOOM, a game that needs no introduction. It’s a first-person shooter game that was originally released in 2016 and has been a fan favorite ever since. The game’s story revolves around the player, who is a lone space marine, fighting demons from hell to save humanity. With an arsenal of weapons at your disposal, including shotguns, rocket launchers, and chainsaws, you’ll be able to mow down waves of demons in a truly satisfying manner.
The Nintendo Switch version of DOOM is just as good as its counterparts on other consoles, with smooth gameplay and impressive graphics. The game also includes the multiplayer mode, where you can battle it out with other players online.
- Portability: DOOM is a fast-paced first-person shooter, and being able to take it on the go with the Nintendo Switch is a major advantage. It’s great for playing on long commutes or trips.
- Motion Controls: The Switch version of DOOM has motion controls, which can be used for aiming. This can be a much more precise way to play the game, and can make it easier to take out enemies.
- Full Campaign: The Nintendo Switch version of DOOM includes the full campaign from the original game, as well as all of the multiplayer modes.
- Graphics: The graphics on the Switch version of DOOM are not as good as on other platforms. The game has been scaled down to fit on the Switch, so it doesn’t look as crisp or detailed.
- Frame Rate: The frame rate can be a bit choppy at times, especially when there’s a lot of action on the screen.
- Controls: The controls on the Switch version of DOOM can be a bit awkward. It can take some time to get used to aiming with motion controls, and the placement of the buttons may not be ideal for everyone.
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
Next up is Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, a game that takes place in an alternate universe where the Nazis won World War II. The game’s protagonist, BJ Blazkowicz, must lead a resistance movement to take back America from the Nazi regime. The game features intense shooting gameplay, where you’ll be able to use an array of weapons to take down enemies, including a hatchet for close combat.
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus on the Nintendo Switch is an impressive feat, with the game running smoothly and looking great. The game also includes motion controls, which allows you to aim with precision by tilting the Joy-Con controllers.
- Engaging Storyline: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus has a well-crafted and engaging storyline that follows the protagonist BJ Blazkowicz on a mission to free America from Nazi control. The game features interesting characters, emotional moments, and plenty of plot twists to keep players engaged.
- Impressive Graphics: The game features impressive graphics and detailed environments that bring the world to life. The game looks great on all platforms, including the Nintendo Switch.
- Intense Action: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus is a fast-paced first-person shooter that offers plenty of intense action. The game features a wide range of weapons, including unique and powerful ones, which make for exciting battles.
- Short Campaign: The main campaign of Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus is relatively short, with most players completing it in under 10 hours. While the game does offer replayability, some players may feel that the campaign is too short for the price.
- Difficulty Spikes: The game can be challenging, with some difficulty spikes that may frustrate players. Some sections of the game may require players to replay them multiple times in order to progress.
- Lack of Multiplayer: Unlike some other first-person shooters, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus does not offer multiplayer modes. While this is not a major issue for everyone, some players may miss the ability to compete against others online.
Splatoon 2 is a colorful and quirky third-person shooter game that has become a favorite among Nintendo Switch players. The game features a unique gameplay mechanic where you control characters that can transform into squids, allowing you to swim through ink and paint the arena. The objective of the game is to cover the arena with your team’s ink while battling it out with the opposing team.
The game features a variety of weapons, including paint guns and rollers, that you can use to paint the arena and take out enemies. Splatoon 2 also has an extensive multiplayer mode, where you can team up with friends and take on other players online.
- Fun and Unique Gameplay: Splatoon 2 is a third-person shooter that features unique gameplay mechanics, where players use ink to cover the map and take out enemies. It’s a fun and engaging game that offers a fresh take on the shooter genre.
- Multiplayer: Splatoon 2 offers a robust multiplayer mode that allows players to team up with others and compete in various modes, including Turf War and Ranked Battles. The game also supports local multiplayer, so players can compete against each other on the same console.
- Great Single Player Mode: In addition to the multiplayer mode, Splatoon 2 also features a great single player campaign that offers challenging levels and boss battles.
- Limited Voice Chat: The game’s voice chat feature is limited, which can make it difficult for players to communicate with each other during matches.
- Motion Controls: Splatoon 2 utilizes motion controls for aiming, which can take some getting used to for players who prefer traditional controls.
- Lack of Local Save Data Backup: Splatoon 2 doesn’t allow players to back up their save data locally, which means that if something happens to their console, they may lose their progress.
Overwatch: Legendary Edition
Overwatch: Legendary Edition is a team-based first-person shooter game that has become a worldwide phenomenon. The game features a variety of characters, each with their own unique abilities and weapons, that you can use to battle it out with other players. The objective of the game is to capture and defend objectives while working together with your team to achieve victory.
The Nintendo Switch version of Overwatch is just as good as its counterparts on other consoles, with smooth gameplay and impressive graphics. The game also includes motion controls, which allows you to aim with precision by tilting the Joy-Con controllers.
- Engaging Gameplay: Overwatch is a team-based first-person shooter that offers a wide variety of heroes to choose from, each with their own unique abilities and playstyles. The game is fast-paced and requires strategic teamwork to succeed, which can be very engaging.
- Great Art Style: Overwatch features a vibrant and colorful art style that sets it apart from other games in the genre. The game’s characters and environments are well-designed and visually appealing.
- Robust Multiplayer: The game offers a robust multiplayer mode that allows players to team up with others and compete in various modes, including Quick Play, Competitive Play, and Arcade. There are also regular seasonal events that offer unique modes and cosmetic items.
- Requires Good Teamwork: Overwatch is heavily dependent on teamwork, which means that players who don’t work well with others may struggle to succeed.
- Steep Learning Curve: The game has a steep learning curve, as there are many heroes to learn and master, each with their own unique abilities and playstyles. This can make the game feel overwhelming for new players.
- Toxic Community: Like many online multiplayer games, Overwatch has a toxic community, with some players being rude or abusive to others. This can be a turnoff for some players.
Alien: Isolation is a first-person survival horror game that takes place 15 years after the events of the original Alien movie. The game’s protagonist, Amanda Ripley, must survive on a space station while being hunted by a single Alien. The game features intense stealth gameplay, where you’ll have to hide from the Alien and use gadgets to distract it.
The Nintendo Switch version of Alien: Isolation is a great way to experience the game on the go. The game runs smoothly and features impressive graphics, making it a truly immersive experience. The game also includes the DLC content, which adds more hours of gameplay.
- Immersive Horror Experience: Alien: Isolation is a survival horror game that offers a very immersive and tense atmosphere. Players take on the role of Amanda Ripley as she explores a dark and creepy space station while trying to avoid the alien threat.
- Authentic Alien Universe: The game captures the look and feel of the Alien universe, with detailed environments and sound effects that create a sense of dread and tension.
- Stealth and Survival Gameplay: The game requires players to use stealth and survival skills to evade the alien and other enemies, adding an extra layer of challenge and tension to the gameplay.
- Slow-Paced Gameplay: Alien: Isolation can feel slow-paced at times, as players spend a lot of time exploring and trying to avoid the alien threat. This can be frustrating for some players.
- Limited Weapon Options: The game doesn’t offer a lot of weapon options, which can make combat encounters feel repetitive and limiting.
- AI Can Be Predictable: The game’s AI can be predictable at times, which can make the game feel less challenging for experienced players.
Payday 2 is a cooperative first-person shooter game where you and your friends can plan and execute heists. The game features a variety of missions, from bank robberies to jewelry store heists, that require careful planning and execution. The game also includes a variety of weapons and gadgets that you can use to take on the police and rival gangs.
The Nintendo Switch version of Payday 2 is a great way to play the game with friends, either locally or online. The game runs smoothly and features impressive graphics, making it a truly enjoyable experience.
- Co-Op Gameplay: Payday 2 is a co-op first-person shooter that encourages teamwork and strategic planning. Players take on various heists and missions together, working together to overcome obstacles and complete objectives.
- Customizable Builds: The game offers a wide variety of customizable builds, allowing players to tailor their playstyle and character to their preferences.
- Wide Variety of Weapons and Equipment: Payday 2 offers a wide variety of weapons and equipment to choose from, including guns, explosives, and gadgets. This allows players to experiment with different playstyles and strategies.
- Steep Learning Curve: Payday 2 has a steep learning curve, with many mechanics and systems to master. This can make the game feel overwhelming for new players.
- Limited Solo Play: The game is designed to be played with others, and solo play can be challenging and less rewarding.
- Repetitive Gameplay: The game’s missions and heists can feel repetitive after a while, as many of them follow a similar formula.
Metro Redux is a first-person shooter game that takes place in a post-apocalyptic world. The game features a variety of weapons, including guns and crossbows, that you can use to take down mutants and hostile humans. The game’s story is engaging and immersive, with a focus on survival and exploration.
The Nintendo Switch version of Metro Redux includes both Metro 2033 and Metro: Last Light, making it a great value for money. The game runs smoothly and features impressive graphics, making it a must-play for fans of the genre.
- Engaging Storyline: Metro Redux offers an engaging and immersive storyline set in a post-apocalyptic world where humanity struggles to survive. The game’s story is based on the novels by Dmitry Glukhovsky and follows the journey of Artyom as he tries to save his people from various threats.
- Atmospheric Setting: The game’s setting, the Metro system of Moscow, is filled with detail and atmosphere, creating a sense of immersion and tension. The game’s graphics and sound design contribute to this atmosphere.
- Survival Gameplay: The game’s survival gameplay mechanics, including scavenging for resources and managing your character’s gas mask and flashlight, add an extra layer of tension to the game.
- Slow-Paced Gameplay: Metro Redux can feel slow-paced at times, with a lot of walking and exploring required between combat encounters.
- Limited Weapon Customization: The game’s weapon customization options are limited, which can make combat encounters feel repetitive.
- Limited AI: The game’s AI can be predictable at times, which can make combat encounters feel less challenging.
These are just some of the best shooting games available for the Nintendo Switch. Each game offers a unique and engaging experience, with impressive graphics and smooth gameplay. Whether you’re a fan of first-person shooters or third-person shooters, there’s something for everyone on the Nintendo Switch.
So, what are you waiting for? Pick up your Nintendo Switch and start shooting your way to victory!